Subscribe to this Blog
When personal Bible reading is brought into the community all members profit. What are the benefits of reading the Bible with a group? The pyramid below shows the cascading benefits of deeper engagement in the Word of God with others. While people normally retain only 10% of what they read, when they discuss it with others that number increases to 50%. Consider these other blessings of reading the Bible with a small group:
The following plan from The One Year Chronological Study Bible will help you use the features of this bible as you read communally:
• Meet together weekly with a small group to discuss the readings and each person’s insights.
• Have group members take turns telling the developing story from week to week .
• Use the daily introductions, discovery questions, and articles (or one of the many support resources available on the CBT website) to stimulate thought and discussion.
• Give each participant an opportunity to share how the developing story confronts his or her personal story.
• At the end of the year’s reading (or any set amount of time), provide an opportunity for each group participant to share with the group a major insight that transformed an area of his or her life.